Big/Little Spotlights

Early last month 76 new members found their home with us in the Psi chapter of Alpha Sigma Tau. Later today these young women are going to become apart of families within our chapter. Whether it is being a big, getting a big, being a little, or getting a little these roles hold a special and different meaning to every one of our sisters. See what some of our bigs and littles had to say about the impact having a family has had on their time in AST!

Christina Whitney (Big) and Alyssa Tran (Little




Christina:
"I've never met anyone in my life quite like Tran and I mean that in the best way possible. She has more confidence than anyone I've ever met and she inspires me to be sure with my decisions and never look back. We are so different but so similar at the same time. She always gives me new perspectives on life. Alyssa Tran is also one of the most genuine people. At 4 feet 11 inches she puts up a tough front but I know she always has my back and will always have a shoulder to let me cry on."





Alyssa:
"I can't say I've ever met anyone like Christina Whitney. I remember the first time I ever hung out with her, we had a sleepover and she ordered me Tutti's and offered me her bed to sleep on while she slept on the couch. Although she barely knew me at the time, this goes to show how charismatic and caring she is. She is one of the smartest people I know and I'm so proud of everything she has accomplished. She has always been there to support and encourage me in every aspect of my life and I mean it when I say she brings out the best in me. I am so fortunate to have experienced the best, worst, funniest, and ditziest moments of our past three years together."

Sarah Houk (Big) and Jenna Rhone (Little

Sarah: 
"When I met Jenna about a year ago I had no idea how much she'd impact my life or that she'd be my little. If you're lucky enough to know her you know she is the kindest, sweetest person. She will go out of her way to help anyone in anyway possible and I can only hope that some of her has rubbed off on me. Whether we are cuddling on my couch, getting coffee, shopping, running errands, or accidentally showing up to study in the exact same outfit we are always laughing and always making memories. Jenna really is the most perfect little and I'd have a hard time imagining my life without her."
Jenna: 
"From the start Sarah and I had so much in common. Even though we had only gone on one sister date we clicked instantly. I was so excited to get a big and when Sarah popped out I couldn't have been happier. Thinking back to this time a year ago, i had no idea how important she would become to me. I always joke and say Sarah is the big sister I always wanted, and got 19 years later. Although I say this jokingly it couldn't be more true. Sarah has encompassed every possible trait you could ask for in a big. She's always there when I'm stressed, need a shoulder to cry on, need words of wisdom, or someone to joke around with. I can only hope to be half the big to my little that Sarah has been to me. I know one thing for sure, one of the Phi's is getting a pretty awesome grandma!"

Sarah Hopkins (Big) and Keely Bennett (Little

Sarah: 
"Keely, aka my better half, is my pride and joy. Her energy, enthusiasm and dedication to this sisterhood has been evident since she was a new member. We've completed each other's sentences since the day we met. I will always remember our first sister date in Starbucks the week big/little lists were due and feeling creeped out by how similar we were! It's been such a joy watching her blossom into an active, self reliant and trustworthy sister who has a heart of gold and always has a smile on her face. She is the best of the best!"
Keely: 
"I never really had someone in my life who could inspire and motivate me until Sarah became my big. She builds me up and gives me the confidence to go out into the world and be the best version of myself. She is everything I wanted to be when I first joined AST. With her by my side I feel like I can do anything. Sarah is so much more than just my big and I'm so glad to have such a meaningful relationship because of AST. I can't even think about her graduating without having a mini panic attack, but I know because of her, I'll be okay when she leaves JMU. I hope to be half the big that Sarah was to me, to my little. I'm so lucky to have her."


Amanda Majewski (Big), Julia Seamans (Little), Hannah Milliken (Little)

Amanda:
 "The excitement and anticipation of Big/ Little week makes it one of the best parts of being in a sorority.  My Littles, Julia Seamans and Hannah Milliken, are two of my best friends. Finding them was easy. Julia was my turtle and Hannah was my adopted turtle; we all had a bond that clicked right away and I couldn't image life without them. Our bond continued to grow as we had weekly lunch dates, annual Friday night family dinners at Benny's, and just being able to hangout spontaneous with each other. This year it's a little more crazy so our schedules don't always meet up, but from Friday night till Sunday after chapter you can always find us together. My favorite part about having Twin Littles is that they can always make me laugh. We are all jokesters who are never serious. We tease each other and love each other just like a real family does. I'm so excited for them to get Littles and experience the joy. The joy of knowing a person for only half a semester yet impacting their life forever, just as they did for me! Being a Little is great, but being a Big is even better."
Hannah Milliken: 
"When I met Amanda for the first time I loved her. She was so easy to get along with and was never afraid to be herself. She is everything that a big should be. She's a shoulder to cry on when I'm sad and is always there to make me laugh. I love our family dinner dates and spending even just an hour with her. She has helped me fall even more in love with AST and for that I am forever grateful. I hope my little loves me as much as I love Amanda."

Dana Keenan (Big) and Jackie Wagner (Little



Jackie: “Dana is one of the biggest reasons of why I fell so in love with AST. She has been a great role model to me and has helped me get very involved with the sisterhood. I couldn’t imagine both my college and AST experience without my big!”










Katie Kolar (Big), Haley Stultz (Little), Sydney Bullock (Little

Katie Kolar:
"Never in my life did I think anyone would trust me with a little, let alone two. When I first met Haley we instantly knew we wanted each other. We were on a sister date with ten other sisters and we sat at the end of the table in our own world just talking and laughing together. Haley has changed me in so many ways. She has made me kinder, more optimistic, and loving. She's the nicest, most caring person I know and I'm so incredibly lucky to have her in my life. 
Meeting Sydney was completely different. We don't really know how we met but she just came up to me one day and said 'you're gonna be my big' and I was just kind of like 'okay sure'. Getting another little that year was nothing I ever anticipated but I'm so glad I took Syd. She's the sassy, funny, independent one of the family. No one has ever made me laugh more than Syd does. Living with her this year has been constant hilarious shambles! She's definitely made me tougher and more responsible. She's always the one who will tell you how it is and tell you what you need to hear.
Haley and Syd are complete opposites. They're complementary. They're so different and yet so perfectly fit together and somehow I'm the middle one that has a bit of both of them in me. Syd is the one you go to when you need someone to take your mind off of things and watch The Office and complain to. Haley is the one you go to when you feel like life is falling apart around you and you just need someone to tell you it's going to be okay. Both of them are always there for me, taking care of me when I need it (which is a lot sorry guys!) Syd is resilient and Haley is compassionate. It amazes me every day that two people could be so different and yet love each other so much.
We are the perfect little family in every way. They are my littles and my best friends and I love them both forever and always!" 

Haley Stultz:
"Because of these amazing women, Katie and Sydney, my AST experience is something that I feel like everyone strives for when joining a sorority. Katie and Sydney are my rocks, my home away from home, and my safe place. I honestly don't know where my life would be if AST didn't bring us together. I love these two girls with all of my being and I know our friendship will continue beyond the years we have left at JMU."


"When I first met Katie I thought wow this girl is about as crazy as I am! We instantly clicked. Now we do everything together. Whether it's her teaching me how to snowboard (terribly) while meeting older AST alumnae on the mountain or stuffing our faces with pizza at two a.m. she is always down to have a good time. She embodies all the traits a big and a best friend should have. She is trustworthy, caring, loving, protective, and loyal to Sydney and I.
Katie, I don't know what I'm going to do next year when I can't see you everyday. It's going to be really hard not having you there in person for me to have a shoulder to cry on when I need it. Or when Sydney doesn't want to order Tutti's at two a.m. Even though you'll only be two hours away, I know I can still have you be one text/call away. You have taught me so many things the past two years and I couldn't be more appreciative for having you in my life. I love you to the moon and back. I know you'll be back most weekends to see Syd and I."

"You would think Sydney and I would never be friends but once you see us together you'd change your mind. We have very different personalities but that's what makes our friendship work. She is my twin, my froomie, and one of my best friends. As my twin she knows how to keep me in check when I start acting like a fool. As my froomie she is always down to go to the gym and grub on some "healthy" food after. As one of my best friends I know she is always there for me to support me and never sugar coat anything. Her strength is something that I aspire to have everyday.
Sydney, it's relieving to know that you're only going to be four steps away from me next year. Our next couple of years left at JMU (let's face it we're not leaving this place) is going to be an adventure to say the least. Our littles have no idea what they're up against when it comes to you and I. But it's going to  be fun trying to "raise" these two girls. You are my rock and my inspiration to be a better person. I can't wait for all of the shows we're going to binge watch on the weekends and the memories we're going to make. I love you twinnie!"

Comments