blAST from the pAST: Katelin Mikuta

Life in college is pretty great - but we all have to graduate someday!  An AST alumna of less than two years, Katelin Mikuta ('11) filled both the Assistant Recruitment Chair and Recruitment Chair positions during her time here so knows exactly how all of the potential new members (PNM's) feel in these few weeks before the big event!  Read on to see how being an Alpha Sigma Tau sister at JMU has impacted her big girl life...



Pledge Class: Kappa 


Hometown: Richmond, VA

Major: Nursing

Positions Held: Recruitment and Assistant Recruitment chairs

What have you been doing since graduation? I moved to Washington DC with a bunch of friends from JMU and am now working at Children's National Medical Center working as a pediatric nurse!

How has the real world been different from college? I thought I was going to be in a serious depression leaving the comfort of JMU last spring, but the real world has been amazing! It's been just like JMU without the school work!

How did AST prepare you for the real world? I gained so much confidence by being a part of this organization. I knew that no matter what I always had 120+ girls that would be there to back me up. I learned how to delegate, prioritize, and motivate; all of which are essential characteristics for my job now!

Acting as Recruitment Chair


How did being in AST impact your time at JMU? Deciding to join AST as a freshman was one of the most crucial decisions that I made in my first few weeks there. It gave me the ability to feel at home in such a large and new university where I knew no one. I never would have guessed as a freshman on Bid Cel night that the girls standing around me would become my roommates, best friends, and part of some of my most favorite memories of college. 

What do you miss about being in AST? I miss always having someone to hang out with, seeing everyone at chapter every week, and getting new T-shirts on a weekly basis!

Favorite AST moment: Way too many good ones to narrow it down!  But if I had to choose, I would say every Bid Cel night that I got to be a part of!  They are exciting, fun, loud, overwhelming, and a little bit of crazy all rolled into one!

Advice to PNM's: It sounds cliche, but be yourself. And have fun with the process! It's a long week, but it is worth every second!!!



Comments