Carrying our values to the Greek Community


AST prides themselves in being a “Panhellenic Minded” chapter and active in the Greek Community. Sisters JS, Caroline Crane, Abby Shimkus, Gabby Gilmartin, and Banner Gray are making AST proud for being wonderful representatives of our chapter in the Greek community through their leadership positions. 

Caroline is AST’s Junior Panhellenic representative. Junior Panhel strives to inspire new members to embrace their full leadership potential and strengthen the inter-fraternal bond in our community. Abby is this year’s Greek Week coordinator, and she is responsible for planning and working with a committee to revamp this year’s Greek Week!

We are all excited to see how these ladies will develop their positions and help promote a positive image of AST in our greek community. See what these women had to say about their responsibilities for this semester!


JS
“Going through recruitment as a freshman I specifically remember thinking how much I respected the women on Panhellenic Exec. They all seemed so mature and put together; I automatically wanted to be one of them. Two women in AST were on Panhel Exec my freshman year and I looked up to both of them. Their names were Liz Schweider and Kelsey Cislo. Emma Moredock, joining Panhel Exec the next year equally inspired me!
My favorite thing about my position so far is working with Junior Panhellenic. This is a committee of new member delegates from each sorority and a president and vice president. I love the idea of giving young members of our community leadership opportunities. 

As of right now I am really looking forward to the Role Model Fashion Show which will be held on March 28th. This event really embodies what Panhellenic is all about and celebrates the members we cherish the most. We are also hoping that this year we can involve girl scouts in this event!"
Caroline C.
Jr. Panhel Rep 

"I have learned a lot about the other sororities from being in this position. I don’t think New Members really get to know the other sororities during their first year and I think starting these inter-sorority connects early on is really beneficial. You can learn a lot from other sororities and having connections with other chapters can help you get more people to come to your chapter’s events!

At tomorrow’s junior panhel meeting we are officially deciding on what charity we are choosing for our philanthropy! We are trying to choose a charity within the Harrisonburg community. Make sure to follow Junior Panhel on Twitter @JuniorPanhelJMU for more information about our upcoming events!"




Abby S.
Greek Week Coordinator 
I decided to apply for Greek Week Coordinator because I really wanted to be more involved in the whole Greek system. When I leave college I really want to be an event coordinator so I knew this would be a great experience, and I would learn a lot. Greek week is such a big week, so I am hoping to make it more exciting with new ideas and events.

This year, the committee and I are really trying to revamp Greek Week through coming up with new ideas for events where we can have the all of Harrisonburg and JMU be a part of it. Many people forget that the point of Greek week is philanthropy, so raising awareness about Greek week within Harrisonburg will allow for us to stress the philanthropy aspect of it. We are also trying to stress the unity of the Greek system instead of just the competition. Doing so will hopefully bring together different organizations more and show the unity of the Greek system as a whole!”


Gabby (AST’s Panhellenic Delegate) and Banner (AST’s Assistant Panhellenic Delegate) work as a team in representing AST at Panhel Events and relaying Panhel Exec minutes back to to the chapter. We are proud to have them as a liaison between the chapter and Panhel exec! See what they had to say about their positions’ responsibilities below!


Gabby G.
AST Panhel Delegate
“I wanted to be Panhel delegate because I am passionate about Panhellenic and being the assistant delegate last year, I felt like I was prepared and could do a great job in the position. Emma and Liz were wonderful role models for me in Panhel last year and lead me to want to continue being involved!

Panhel delegates keep each other updated on what each chapter is doing as well as look into ways to inspire people to be more "Panhellenically-minded." Once a month, we have a Panhel Event that members of all chapters are encouraged to attend that helps with out "Panhellenically-minded" visions.

The most rewarding part is probably being able to represent AST and be connected with all of sorority life- knowing what's going on and being able to relay that to our chapter!”




Banner G.
Assist. Panhel Delegate
 "I wanted to get involved in AST, and I like how Panhel incorporates all the different sororities. As assistant panhel delegate, I go to all panhel delegate meetings (usually every tuesday night) and go to all Panhel Events (once a month on tuesday nights) and help Gabby with whatever she needs.

The most rewarding part of my position is getting to hang out with Gabby and Jenny every tuesday night! It is important to know what different sororities are doing so that we can all support each other; whether it be philanthropy events, proceed nights, etc. Getting a lot of sororities members together once a month at Panhel Events lets us expand our horizons. I look forward to becoming more involved in Greek life and making new friends!!!






Comments

  1. Can't wait to see what great things these women have in store for us this upcoming year. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The amount of AST's present in the panhel community is amazing! Makes me so proud to be part of such a wonderful organization. I can't wait to hear about everything being planned and I want to help with as much as possible! TLM <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love seeing how our sorority represents Panhel and surrounding organizations! It's so important to be involved in more than just our sorority, and it's amazing to see our sisters changing the campus!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think reading about these members involvement is really awesome and encouraging to other members to get involved as well! It seems like a really good opportunity to represent AST and get involved in the whole greek community as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These ladies are all great examples of a woman who is active, self-reliant, and trustworthy! I love seeing all of the AST pride in the Panhellenic community, we couldn't ask for better representatives and I'm looking forward to seeing many great things from them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is always an honor to read about how Women in our Chapter represent us among the entire Greek community! Having people involved really shows how dedicated we are to making a difference and creating opportunities for great things to happen among us. I am proud to call these special representatives my sisters!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love reading about how involved AST women are not only involved on campus with our own functions and goals but also along side of the other greek organizations on campus. I’m so proud so many AST women work within Panhel and remain involved and informed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am proud of AST for increasing our involvement within the Panhellenic community as often as we can. They represent this chapter in such a positive manner and there is no doubt that they will be achieving great things within those new positions!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so proud of AST being such a large part of the Panhellinic Community! I think its super important for us to meet girls in other sororities and Panhel is a great way to do that. I can't wait to see all of Abby's hard work pay off!

    ReplyDelete
  10. All of these girls are doing such a great job representing our chapter and contributing to the greek community as a whole. Thanks for everything you've done for us and keep it up!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Being a part of the Panhellenic community is such a great opportunity and I am inspired by these ladies leadership and hard work. The Role Model Fashion Show sounds like it is going to be a lot of fun and I cannot wait to go and support the Greek community. These women show that just because our letters are different it does not make us better than any other sorority. Many people see sororities compete against one another to be better, have better ideas and raise more money. The Panhellenic community really values the strength of women as a whole and unity of all Greek Life rather than what the letters on our shirts say.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so proud of all of you ladies for reaching out to the entire Greek community and connecting us all! I think that it is really important that all Greeks come together to support each other. Good job ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's always great to hear about the Greek community connecting and supporting each other. These ladies are such an inspiration to me and I'm especially proud to have two members of my family so involved in the Panhellenic community!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love having so many great women to look up to in our sorority! It's great to see so many ASTs representing us on Panhel. Can't wait to see what they have to bring back to our chapter after connecting with so many others in the Greek community!

    ReplyDelete
  15. All these women are great people who are working hard and are representing us great in Panhel. I can't wait to see what they do with the rest of their time in these positions!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I feel so proud to be an AST and to call these women my sisters. It is so awesome to see our sorority represent the greek community so well. I can't wait to see what they have in store for us this year.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment