Sisters devote their break to help those in needs


By the time spring break rolls around, everyone is ready to bum out at the beach or just enjoy being a couch potato with no responsibilities for those short seven days before getting back to the good old work grind. If the Rs in "spring break" stand for "relaxing,"AST sisters Chelsea Adams, Esha Hore and Rachel Petri decided to trade that aspect of spring break for an even better R word: rewarding. Read all about how these girls made their sisters so proud by making a difference in the lives of those in need!

Chelsea Adams 

"I spent 9 days in Alajuela, Costa Rica, and we traveled to the communities of Los Olivos and Balsa everyday to set up the free medical clinics. I decided to go on this medical mission trip because I've been so blessed throughout my life that it was time to give back to a place that needed help so desperately. I also wanted more medical experience in a Spanish speaking environment, and I wanted to share God's love with the world. 

Chelsea in action!
It was the most incredible, indescribable, awesome, and slightly terrifying experience of my life! We worked with two brilliant Costa Rican physicians and translators. We did basic physical exams and worked with the doctors with diagnosis and treatments. We had a pharmacy at the clinic stocked with supplies that our team and doctors donated so that the patients could walk out without having to worry about the burden of buying an expensive drug or having to walk miles to get to a pharmacy. 

Even though some patients had to wait for hours to be examined, they waited patiently because they knew we were going to stay as late as we needed to and make time for them unlike any other clinic they would go to. The program that sponsored this trip, International Service Learning (ISL), praised us for breaking records in the amount of patients that we saw and treated. The doctors added that we were one of the most talented and unique teams that they had ever seen! 
Chelsea (in pink) and the crew!

It was just so unbelievable to see the selflessness and gratitude of the Costa Rican people despite their circumstances.  A little girl that I had played games with during breaks throughout the week came back on our last day to give me a bracelet reads " amor." I will never take it off! The most rewarding part of my trip was just witnessing the smiles, receiving hugs, kisses, and endless "thank yous."

I learned that no matter what language you speak, you can always find a common thread in another human being with love. Mother Teresa said "Peace begins with a smile," and she is so right. Smiling, being nice, and investing in relationships with people doesn't require money or much time, you can do it wherever you are, and it can change the world." 

Esha Hore


Esha and the group
"This spring break I went down to Winter Park, Florida. It is a very well established and affluent community right beside the city of Orlando. The first half of the day every day on this trip consisted of us doing community service. We stayed at the First United Methodist Church in Winter Park. This church along with many others in this area has a program for those who have lost everything or are on verge of losing everything and they bring families in on a weekly basis, provide them with a place to stay and give them warm meals, but in return the adults have to be willing to look for a job and save up while the kids still continue to go to school. 



My group and I had interactions with two families that stayed at the church with us. We set up breakfast for them each morning and then after they came back we said grace and set up dinner, we ate all our meals together. The most rewarding part of this trip for me was seeing how happy the families were even when they had nothing; they appreciate the smallest things like a bag of chips for example, or a pair of socks, which is in high demand for the homeless.

Esha's 2nd day on the trip!
The most eye-opening part of this experience for me was seeing the location of these homeless camps. It was just weird seeing that most people drive by these places and never think twice about what could be in the midst of the tress and bushes that surround the area (which is where most camps were located). We came across a campsite which was built by veterans, who once did everything they could to protect this country and now they are living in camps in the woods. It was truly heartbreaking. 

I wasn’t aware that homelessness was such a huge issue in the U.S, and it took me a trip all the way down to Florida to realize the seriousness of an issue that I'm sure exists in Virginia, even in Harrisonburg. I just want to tell everyone to be grateful for having a roof over their heads, food for every meal, and clothes to cover their body. I would also like to do fundraisers or food/clothes drives so that I can give back and raise awareness about this issue in the future!"

RP

 I went to LA, California. We served at LA mission, a homeless shelter, and LA's Best, an after school enrichment program for disadvantaged elementary school kids! I decided to do Alternative Spring Break because it is a great opportunity for me to get out of my comfort zone and put others before myself.  It became disturbing how much I took for granted and this trip gave me a chance to give back and get more involved.

Every morning we took a bus to LA's mission which was located in Skid Row. Skid Row has one of the largest populations of homeless people in LA.  We put together hygiene kits, passed out food, wrapped silverware, sorted food in the warehouse, and most importantly just sat down and talked with those struggling with homelessness. We formed friendships with many of the men and women that use the services provided by LA Mission. 

In the afternoons we worked at an after school program called LA's Best which serves disadvantaged youth.  We played with the kids on the playground and then helped them all with their homework. LA's Best is a great organization because it helps to keep kids off the street and away from the danger of gang violence and instead allows them to play and study in a safe and healthy environment.  

The most rewarding part of the trip for me was being able to play and goof around with the kids at the after school program. I think it is so important for kids to be able to act silly and have fun and not grow up too quickly.  Many children who grow up in poor urban areas have their innocence taken away too soon and can be sucked into peer pressure and other dangerous situations. My group and I were able to act as positive role models for them during the week which is so important. 

The most eye-opening part of my experience was going on a tour of Skid Row. Seeing men and women lined up along the street with their only belongings in a shopping cart showed me how much I take for granted everyday.  I am fortunate enough to know where my next meal is coming from and where I am going to sleep at night.  These men and women only have the clothes on their back and honestly know what it feels like to be truly hungry. Alternative Spring Break is a great opportunity for JMU students to get out of their comfort zone and experience how many other people are living."

Comments

  1. So awesome to see sisters giving back to those in need on their spring breaks! I hope one day I can experience something so amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so amazing to see what our sisters did over the break to help others. This shows how generous and thoughtful women are in the chapter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO PROUD OF MY BIG CHELSEA!!! You're all amazing and I can't believe what amazing things you were a part of this spring. Keep it up you wonderful ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you girls are so amazing! i wish i could have done something like this over my spring break (maybe next year!) keep up the good work ladies:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so proud to see all of my sisters dedicating their time to such worthy causes! I hope that one day I can go on a service trip like these!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was so heartwarming to read each of your experiences! I'm so glad you all had a rewarding and eye opening time while helping so many!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So proud of my amazing roommate, Rachel, as well as Chelsea and Esha! You girls did such an amazing thing by donating your time. So proud to have you all as sisters!

    ReplyDelete
  8. YOU GO GIRLS! So proud to be a part of this chapter of devoted sisters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So proud to call these women my sisters. Rachel, Chelsea and Esha touched the lives of so many people in such a short amount of time and it was amazing and inspiring to read about each of their experiences. Can't wait to hear more about their trips!!

      Delete
  9. All three women did an amazing job this spring break; I'm so proud of all of them and to call them my sisters! I plan on doing something like this over the course of the next few years (hopefully!), so it's exciting to see how many different places and opportunities there really are.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So proud that these ladies gave up their spring break to help less fortunate people! I am glad they had such a rewarding experience, and it gives us all a chance to think about how lucky we are today.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am proud that we have such loving and giving women within our chapter! Just dedicating their time and smiles to people who truly need them is worth more than many realize! I would love to be apart of an experience like this. Great jobs ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Way to make AST look good and give back to the community! I definitely want to do an alternative break trip sometime during the next few years! Sounds like you all had a blast <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is what sorority girls should be doing, giving back to communities and helping out. You girls are true inspirations. I want to do these one day, sounds like so much fun. I'm proud to call yall my sisters <3

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so proud of my sorority and the great work that they do and I am so proud to call them my sisters!

    ReplyDelete
  15. so precious!!! I am so proud to call myself a sister of ast and be able to see that we are making a difference in this world and making it a better place. love you all

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is so cool! I would love to do something like this before I graduate. Hopefully I can (:

    ReplyDelete
  17. I look up to these girls! I feel so privileged to call them my sisters. I hope I can experience something like this one day!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment