A Word from the Wise: Older Sisters Share Advice to New Members

T-minus 18 days ‘til initiation!

For the newest Alpha Pi pledge class, us “elders” decided it’d be valuable to offer some guidance, fun anecdotes and things we wish we would’ve known while undergoing the pledging process. 

We all know how stressful it can be – attempting to meet and foster a connection with 100+ older sisters, attending weekend bonding retreats, learning how to calm down after being revealed our Big – and some wise advice, well it’d be nice!

"Go to as many events as possible and don't be afraid to run for positions! The more you put into it, the more you will get out of it."
- Jenny S., Alpha Nu

"I regret not planning my time better so that I could attend more sisterhood events. Time management is something that I found to be crucial as a new member, and I wasn't prepared for all I was about to get myself into!"
- Jillian M., Alpha Omicron (fall)

My biggest piece of advice to a sister (new or old) or to anyone is something that I have grown to appreciate about others. Be yourself, stand by your values and who you are, because in the end that is what makes you different. When you are happy with who you are it reflects to everyone around you.

In a way, that is how I grew. Coming in as a new member I don't think I had any idea how strong I was. When you meet other people who empower you to be the best you can be you are pretty unstoppable.


“I never regret anything I do in life; I believe that all experiences, even the ones we don't want to remember, shape the people we've become. If I had to choose something, I regret not taking it all in when it happened. Four years have come and gone so fast and I feel like I only just got here.”
- Alana S., Alpha Nu

"Since I have joined, I've really improved my time management skills. I now make lists and plan ahead and I've learned it's okay to not do everything because there is simply not enough time."
- Katelyn K., Alpha Omicron (spring)

I wish I went on more sister dates. I know that pledging is only a certain amount of time, but you can still schedule sister dates after being initiated. I remember I would have like 5 lunches and 4 coffee dates that by the end of the day I was wired. But getting to meet so many sisters was probably the best. If I could go back in time, I would have reached out more to the older girls, and gone on more than just one sister date with each girl.

“So as a senior now (hint-hint babes), reach out!  We are just as excited to meet you as you are! I have met so many great girls that I know will be at my wedding as my bridesmaids (well if I get married that is).  If not I'll be a crazy panda lady, or whatever the norm for Asians is. I digress, but looking back you will always remember those most important moments, from getting a bid to the night before initiation. It's the moment I really felt AST was a part of me and I couldn't have asked for a better pledge class to be initiated with.”
- Connie H., Alpha Nu

Don’t be scared because everything we do is in good fun! AST is based on tradition and one day you will be an “old” sister too, have your turn, and understand. If I could give little pledge Alexa advice, it’d be to stop comparing yourself to other Greeks because everyone has a different experience and no one’s should matter but your own. 

“It’s funny; when I first pledged I was so caught up in the partying and boys. Now that I am a senior and have had my fair share of late nights and “men,” I am mainly focused on the friendship aspect. You might argue and have some drama along the way, but one day when graduation is upon you, you’ll realize that it was your girlfriends, not the randos you meet at parties, that were there for you no matter what. So always say sorry and show your sisters how much you appreciate them!”
- Alexa J., Alpha Nu





--Written By: Alexa Johnson

Comments

  1. I regret not being more involved with the sorority and not planning my time wisely. Definitely put those Lilly planner to good use and plan out your time and get as involved as you possibly can!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with everything that has been said, as a senior my last four years as an AST have gone by in the blink of an eye and I cannot believe that I only have a semester and a half left, cherish every moment girls!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great advice! Time management is definitely a skill necessary to master if you want to be involved. As I improve my planning skills I hope to take advantage of as many opportunities to get involved as possible!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment