New Member, Emma Bleznak Writes About Our Sisters Traveling Abroad!



ASTravels


One of the most rewarding experiences a college student can pursue is the opportunity to study abroad. At JMU the study abroad program offers diversity in students’ options to go overseas.

At the start of spring semester Nicole Baucum, the new Director of Sisterhood, had a long list of great new ideas, including writing to our sisters abroad. Last Wednesday sisters gathered in the AST basement to send some love to our sisters overseas, Jackie Schottler (Omicron), Gabby Richichi (Omicron), and Maggie Rhea (Omicron).

Valentines day seemed like the perfect opportunity to send some love to our sisters abroad. Even though they are miles away, AST is always thinking of them and can't wait for them to return.” – Nicole Baucum, Omicron.

ASTs gather in the basement to write letters to the sisters studying abroad.


Steph Gross made sure she sent a letter, saying, “I think it was a great opportunity to reach out to our sisters abroad and show them that we’re thinking about them. I wrote that I hope they’re having a great time, enjoying lots of pasta/fajitas and getting a lot out of their experiences. And that I’m really jealous of what they’re doing!”

As a student preparing to study abroad in spring of 2015, I was intrigued with how the experience was going for my sisters who were a few weeks into their spring 2014 semester abroad.

When I asked Maggie Rhea, who is studying in Spain, why she chose Spain and how she decided it was the right time to go abroad, Maggie said, “I have known for years that I wanted to study abroad in college. My family is Spanish and I have always been in love with the language, so as soon as I saw an opportunity to go to Spain to study I jumped on it. Sure, there were times that I thought about everything I was going to miss out on at JMU being gone for a whole semester, but I know that I will have more time at school when I return. To me, there is just no comparison. I love JMU, the people, my sorority, and everything so much. That being said, studying abroad is such a unique experience and I know JMU and my true friends aren't going anywhere, so I couldn't pass up the opportunity.”

While the decision itself to go can be difficult, many students fear what will happen when they’re suddenly immersed in a foreign country and must adapt to a completely new culture. Maggie said that although she has been out of the country multiple times before, this semester will be the most time she’s spent abroad.

Despite the difficulty of being away from friends, family, and sisters for so long, Maggie is more focused on what she wants to gain from this experience. “I'm not even sure if I could pick one thing that is the most rewarding. I think if I had to choose, it would just be having the opportunity to take care of myself and be independent. I'm living with a host family here in Spain, but they treat me like an adult. I feel like having the opportunity to be here at this age has already changed me in ways I can't even describe, and I have only been here for a week. What I look forward to most is being completely fluent in Spanish by the time I come home!” 
Gabby in Florence!
Jackie in Florence!
Studying abroad, while terrifying and exciting at the same time, is an adventure that every student should take on if given the chance. Maggie has described her journey so far as “the coolest experience I’ve ever had”… and she’s only been away for a little over a week! Her parting advice to anyone considering leaving for a semester to explore the world was, “Get ready to find yourself in ways you didn't know were possible. Don't be afraid to go and try new things, because you're just going to become a better version of yourself.”

Although we miss them, AST is proud of Maggie and all of our other sisters who went abroad. We are excited to hear more about their adventures as the semester continues!



Comments

  1. I love this post! Makes me miss my semester in London last year :) I’m glad they’re all having the best time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so great to hear about sisters studying abroad and I can't wait to hear more from them when they finish their semesters! It seems like such an unforgettable and rewarding experience!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love hearing about all of my sisters abroad! It makes me think of when I went to Spain in high school, and seeing how much fun they're having just makes me want to go abroad again! I can't wait to see them when they get back and hear the rest of their journey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved writing to the sisters abroad! I can't wait for them to get back so we can all hear about what they did!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post, Emma!! Its so good to hear that the sisters abroad are having rewarding experiences! SO jealous of all of the cool places they're seeing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great Post Emma! I am so thankful for being in this sorority. My sisters are always thinking of one another. Even when sisters are abroad we continue to send them love. I loved writing them letters and I cannot wait for them to receive them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so glad that our sisters abroad are having such great experiences. I cannot wait for my opportunity to go abroad one day. This is a great post Emma. I love the pictures too!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Emma is such an amazing writer! I hope to meet her sometime! I want to read more by her!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These girls are SO lucky they got the opportunity to study abroad! And they're also super lucky their sistas love them so much and sent them some precious snail mail : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so proud to have so many sisters representing AST all over the world! Such an amazing experience for all of them!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment