National Hazing Prevention Week

In honor of National Hazing Prevention Week, September 22-26, Psi has decided to focus on our exceptional sisterhood for this week’s blog post. NHPW aims to raise awareness about the issue of hazing on college campuses and turn it it a conversation extending past this week alone.

In taking a stance against hazing, sisters of Psi are working with sisters from other chapters at JMU to educate members of the community about the problem. The events we are participating in this week to speak out on hazing include:
  • educating the community on the Commons
  • handing out tokens of remembrance for Gordie Bailey on National Gordie Bailey Day
  • Haze movie and discussion

Our open motto as a chapter: active, self-reliant, and trustworthy demonstrate qualities that support taking a stand against hazing. 


How do some members of Psi show unconditional respect and love to their sisters?


 “I show respect and love for my sisters by being there for them in their times of need and supporting them in whatever endeavors they decide to partake in!” -Caroline Leary

“It's so important to me that I treat all my sisters like equals, because we are all important and amazing contributions to this organization, no matter what year or age we are! I always try to be as supportive, caring, and helpful as I can, to really show that I care about my sistaus!!” -Meredith Carothers

“Sisterhood is all about feeling comfortable and appreciated with the people you’re surrounded by. I wouldn’t join an organization that didn’t make me feel respected and important. I show respect to my sisters by supporting what makes them happy and encouraging them.” -Steph Gross


"I try to respect my sisters by treating them as equals no matter when they were initiated, where they come from, or who their family is. I think that it is important to treat both my sisters and the new members with respect not only because it is what I believe in, but also because we should strive to end the stereotypes that members of the JMU community may have about Greek Life. This week is about recognizing hazing in all its forms and not being afraid to speak up when something doesn't feel right, no matter how big or small it may be."- Gillian Davis

“There’s nothing I wouldn’t do for my sisters, new and old. I give rides to sisters who don’t have cars, help them with homework, and try to do little acts of kindness so they know I’m here for them when they need me.” -Alyssa Ogrysko

"I show love and respect to my sisters by always supporting them in whatever they decide to do and always having open arms when they need a boost of confidence or even a shoulder to cry on. I think it is important to always make others feel safe and comfortable in any setting, and that’s what I think a big part of our sisterhood is." -Catie Barwood





"I show respect and love for my sisters by being there for them whenever they may need me. Whether it be something small, big, good, or bad, I always try my hardest to listen to them, laugh or cry with them, and just support them in whatever way they need. We share a special bond and hazing would completely violate that. I would never haze my sisters because of the love and respect that I have for them."- Nicole Malthaner 

“I show my love and respect for my sisters by always being a shoulder to lean on when things get rough. I know when I'm having a rough day, it really makes a difference to have some one else think of you and do I small act of kindness to brighten your day.” -Lindsay Kinports

Beauty of spirit, fulfillment of self, and exceptional sisterhood: that's what we stand for as a chapter. 

Comments