Active, Self-Reliant, and Trustworthy: From a Collegiate's Point of View

Sophomore, Katie Kolar, shares with us her experience with AST here at JMU and explains what Active, Self-Reliant, and trustworthy mean to her


            My freshman year of college, I did not rush, it wasn’t even something that slightly crossed my mind and I never thought of it as being “my thing”. Returning to James Madison University for my second year was difficult, I was reluctant and didn’t feel like it was the school for me. Desperate to make the most of the school I was at, I decided to give sorority life a chance and rushed. I joined Alpha Sigma Tau and I have to say it has become to mean so much more to me than I ever imagined an organization could and it has impacted my life in greater ways than nearly anything else.
            This sorority has saved me, changed me, and all around made me a new person. Our open motto, “Active, Self reliant and Trustworthy” seemed very cliché to me as a potential new member. But, reflecting back on who I was before I walked into this organization, it’s apparent that I encompass those three characteristics.
            I find myself constantly involved, and I mean constantly. A staple of sorority life is being involved in the many philanthropic opportunities that the Greek community provides. From putting together our own ‘Fallanthropy’ month to raise money for Habitat for Humanity, Pine Mountain Settlement School, and JDRF, to participation in other sorority and fraternities’ events each benefitting a different charity, the chances to give back to our community both locally and nationally are year round. Though it is important to give back to the community, as sisters, we also give back to one another. When you fall behind in a class, there’s a sister who will lend her time to tutoring. When you want to start a new campus organization, there are sisters there to stand behind you. When you need someone to talk to, or you need a ride back home, or you need someone to go to the gym, eat lunch, or just hang out with, someone is always there. No matter how small or large the task or favor, you can always count on several sisters to offer their helping hand.
            While I now know I have 200 sisters to fall back on when I need help, I’ve still become more self reliant and independent than I was before. There’s something very empowering about being able to help yourself and I’m proud to say I feel that often. I can’t say this is necessarily a quality that is openly talked about as much as being active and involved is, it’s acquired in a more subtle way. I personally learned independence from watching my sisters. They take initiative in getting things done and aren’t afraid to seek out and look up help when they could just give up.

Tamara, Caroline, and Katie

            Trustworthiness is a tough principle when you’re in an organization full of 200 college-aged women, but I have truly never met anyone like them. Being trustworthy to them isn’t just about keeping your secrets (even though they will), but it’s about being there when someone is counting on them and being respectful in all aspects of their lives. You can trust that at any event that’s important to you, your sisters will show up to show their support. They are trustworthy and honest when it comes to schoolwork and projects. It’s a comforting feeling, knowing I could sit down with any one of my sisters and talk to them openly and know that my thoughts and opinions will stay only within that conversation.
            Initially, when I thought of a sorority woman, I didn’t think that type of woman was me, or anything that I wanted to be for that matter. In retrospect, I understand that holding up the values that AST has, is truly what being a sorority woman means. So, I’m proud to call myself a sorority woman, and I would never go back.



            

Comments

  1. This is so well written and I couldn't agree more with every word Katie has written here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Katie! I love to see how our women develop into active and self-reliant women - most people think of sorority women as dependent on one another but I love to see how we have all become so independent and grown so much through AST!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment