The Best First Step - Being a New Member in AST

Newly initiated sister, Hanna Bleznak, recalls how AST has impacted her first year of college in this sentimental account.

As a freshman at JMU, Sorority Recruitment was something I thought I knew all about. However, in reality I had no idea what I was getting into. After going through the amazing but intricate process that is formal recruitment, I ended up exactly where I was meant to be. “You will end up where you’re supposed to be” You’ve heard that a million times - it sounds cliché, but that’s because its so true it must be said over and over again. I went from having a handful of friends in my first two weeks of college then one week later I had more than 200 new sisters. (I couldn’t believe what it did to my Instagram follower to like ratio).

But aside from the overflow of social media love, and the abundance of free things, and never ending hugs, I had just gained a new family. I have never felt so much love and support than after I joined AST, and it didn’t go away! I see people I know when I walk across the Quad, I always have someone I can meet for lunch or coffee, I always have someone to talk to. I haven’t felt alone since I became a member of AST, and that’s what I honor the most. I had the special privilege of knowing many of the sisters prior to becoming a New Member, and it made Bid Celebration all the more exciting to see the joy and excitement reflecting from my face to theirs as I ran out of Wilson.


Comments